Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fashionably Following


Last spring I was blessed with the opportunity to attend Fashion Week in Milan, Italy. My friends and I put on our most beautiful outfits, attended launch parties, snuck in to private galleries and watched the fashion shows outside of the Piazza del Duomo.

This year, my fashion week experience was not quite so glamorous. While models in New York City were strutting their stuff down the runway, I was sitting in the HUB at Penn State glued to my iPhone like it was my most prized possession. What was I doing? Why, I was on Twitter, of course!

Following fashion accounts on Twitter is the easiest and fastest way to keep up with what is going on in the fashion world. Twitter accounts not only cue you in to the latest trends, but also often inform followers about flash sales or where to purchase a specific piece. A 2009 article on fashionablymarketing.me stated that Twitter is drastically changing the way that fashion brands interact with their customers. According to Tony Hsieh from Zappos, Twitter is a long-term branding tool that encompasses everything from customer service to brand awareness. Twitter has even mixed with fashion “offline”. Twitter is also a lot cheaper and more easily accessible than fashion magazines.

If you’re not on the Twitter bandwagon, it’s time to jump on. Here’s my top ten fashion Twitter accounts that I recommend you follow:

∙ Refinery29 (@refinery29)
“Discovering the newest and best in style, shopping, and emerging trends from the runways to the streets.”

∙ Vogue Magazine (@voguemagazine)
“The official twitter page of Vogue Magazine.”

∙ Times Fashion (@TimesFashion)
“The Times does fashion.”

∙ Catwalk Queen (@catwalkqueen)
“Global fashion & style blog- devoted to bringing you all the best fashion news, runway reports, celebrity style and shopping advice for the last 10 years!”

∙ InStyle (@InStyle)
“All the fashion, beauty and celebrity buzz you need to know.”

∙ Inside FMM (@InsideFMM)
“Digital perspective on #fashion, #marketing + media. Retail, home design, luxery, beauty industry B2B news source for social media, mobile + digital innovation.”

∙ Modelinia (@modelinia)
“Where supermodels share their fashion, beauty and lifestyle secrets.”

∙ Coutorture (@Coutorture)
“Coutorture is now in fashionologie.”

∙ The Cut (@cutblog)
“New York Magazine’s fashion blog.”

∙ Fashionista.com (@Fashionista_com)
“All the fashion news you need to know…and fast.”

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you were able to attend Fashion Week in Milan last spring. I studied abroad in London last spring and I was fortunate to score tickets to Vodaphone's London Fashion Weekend at the Somerset House. Although it wasn't London Fashion Week, London Fashion Weekend offered us front row seats to runway shows from new designers like Bora Aksu, Mark Fast, and Christopher Kane. After the fashion show we had access to buy from discounted clothing and jewelry from contemporary designers.

    I completely agree that following fashion accounts on Twitter is the easiest and fastest way to keep up with what is going on in the fashion world. I love reading fashion magazines like Women's Wear Daily, Glamour, Vogue, and InStyle but I don't always have time to read them or the money to order a subscription. By following these accounts on Twitter I can read some of their articles and get news about the fashion industry. I am glad that you posted the Twitter accounts for Refinery 29 because it is one of my favorite fashion blogs. If you are interested in following another great fashion twitter account @StyleCaster (http://www.stylecaster.com/ ) is amazing as well for advice on new trends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I need to say that I am jealous that you were able to attend Milan Fashion Week, and were able to sneak into private galleries! Secondly, it’s interesting how you tied social media into New York Fashion week. In the past I have found myself following certain Twitter accounts surrounding other events, yet I never thought to follow NY Fashion Week. This top ten list will help guide me to the best commentary during the next Fashion Week. While many of the accounts you suggested are geared toward women, I suggest you check out @AskMen_Fashion “Your guide to men’s fashion & style with @AskMen’s fashion editor, @SachinBhola.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing the same thing during Fashion Week. I would retweet pictures from all the lukcy people who were front row of the lines that I loved (which was most of them). Even when its not fasion week, all those twitter accounts keep the fashionable tweeters happy with the latest in the fashion world.

    ReplyDelete