Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Let's Talk Sales

I'm broke. Like, extremely, college-student, ramen-eating broke. Not only am I broke, but I go to Penn State, where the closest mall looks like the inside of a rural Pennsylvania Goodwill store. This obviously does not mix well with my shopping addiction. So, instead of wasting my money on an average looking top for $50 at one of the three boutique stores downtown, I have learned quench my thirst for new clothes via sales sites on the web.


Many people are familiar with the designer sale website Gilt Group that was founded in 2007. This shopping website allows members to join for free and enjoy pretty substantial discounts on designer clothing, accessories and even home goods. With flash deals available for a limited time and new pieces offered daily, Gilt is similar to flash deal websites such as Groupon and Living Social, except for fashion.






A screenshot of today's sales on Gilt.




While the designer sales are amazing, the items on Gilt are still very pricey for a college student. I found myself browsing the website and wanting to buy everything, but never having enough money to realistically do so more than once a year. This is what led me to my latest discovery and obsession, Rue La La.

Rue La La is also a flash deal website that offers exclusive, members-only 48-hour sales. What I like better about Rue La La is that the sales are extremely affordable. I just bought an American Apparel bodysuit on sale for $20, and my roommate bought a full body cleanse for half price. I also have downloaded the iPhone app for it, making it easy to get to the sales early and conveniently before they sell out.

Steve Davis, president of Rue La La, said in one recent article ,“The beauty of the flash business is that we’re perfect for that time-starved consumer. You can shop our site for five minutes every day. It’s a very specific, curated assortment, and we help to pick the right things for you.”

However, saving experts are warning against spending too much time on flash-deal websites. The ticking seconds and sense of urgency to make a purchase can lead to buying items you don't need simply for the sake of them being on sale. I try to avoid this by making a list of items that I actually need, such as rain boots or a bathing suit. If I see a sale that is appropriate to my needs, then I consider buying it. If I see a random item that I am dying to buy that's not on my "needs list", I usually take some time to consider it. If I'm still drooling over the item 15 hours later, and it's not sold out, then I consider treating myself.

Shop wisely my friends!


P.S. - If anyone is looking for valentine's day gift ideas, I purchased a 20-page hardcover customized photo book for my boyfriend for only $10 on Living Social (originally a $40 value).

4 comments:

  1. I really liked this post, probably because I face the same problem every week. There's always a package being delivered to the apartment because of my online shopping. While I did know about the other sites mentioned in your post I hadn't heard of Rue La La, and your blog post already made me sign up and become a member!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These flash sale websites are the new sample sale! Just like a sample sale they are invite/members only and only last for about 2 days. Besides just Rue La La there is also Ideeli and Swirl by Daily Candy. These sites really are incredible; I actually bought myself a dress for formal on one of them. You are definitely right that shopping on them just for fun can lead to unnecessary purchases because you are in a rush (I have two sequin cross body bags to prove it). The best thing to do is head to the sights when you are looking for something specific. When I needed a dress for formal (and like you said the scarce choices in State College don’t help) I have to shop online, and while I hit all the usual online shopping outlets, I almost always end up on Ideeli looking for something of the same quality but better prices!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off I completely agree with your description of the Nittany Mall, I thought that I came from an area with a small mall but this one takes the cake. For some reason I subscribe to a lot of those flash sale sites as you describe them. Although I never really buy anything from them! I just look at them to see what kind of deal I could get. They also make you sign up for them, even though it's free, you get all these crap emails from them almost everyday and all they do is take up space in my inbox. I wish that there was a better way to clarify the exact kinds of products/services that you were into, specify brands and even more so locations. I also think that they should offer better deals on shipping, I think that is a real reason that I don't spend more money on online shopping because I had paying the shipping costs, I usually just wait til I go home but by then the sales are usually over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many people are in the "broke college student" category with you (including myself). I find myself facing the problem of shoe addiction and being broke. It is a problem. I love Groupon and Living Social but I was not aware of the awesome sites you've provided for shopping deals. Yeah, I sign up for all the membership awards on DSW, Aldo and all the other great shoe stores but this only gets me so far... Thanks for the useful sites!

    ReplyDelete