Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Appsolutely Amazing

If you are anything like me, then your smartphone is basically your third hand. Not only is my phone also my alarm, camera, and iPod, but it also functions as my number one source of distraction: fashion apps.

Fashion brands are catching on to the social media craze and using tools such as smartphone applications to engage customers in a way that wasn't possible in the past. In addition to apps that cater to online flash sales, technology has made it possible to keep up with the latest trends, see what the celebrities are wearing and build personalized virtual closets. Mobile apps are changing the way that the fashion industry works in more ways than one.

The San Francisco clothing company Gap Inc. was one of the first brands to take advantage of social media to reach consumers. The Gap StyleMixer is a social shopping app for smartphones that allows people to mix and match Gap clothes with other items and to share the looks via social networking sites. In addition, the application also offers exclusive coupons and special offers.

While the Gap application was at one point innovative and new, it's definitely not on my list of favorite fashion apps. Here I've compiled a list of my most frequently accessed (and college-friendly-free) fashion applications for the iPhone:








Style.com



This app feeds the latest trends by connecting you to blogs, runway coverage, reviews and more. It's ideal during fashion week!













WhoWhatWear




This collection of celebrity-inspired styles in blog and collage form.






Lucky at Your Service


I'm sure most of you are familiar with Lucky Magazine. This phone app brings you the same clothes, accessories and beauty products as well as helps you track down where to buy them.






If you don't mind paying for an app, I would also recommend Stylebook ($3.99) which is similar to the Gap StyleMixer (free), and a great tool for organizing your wardrobe. Also, don't forget about the RueLaLa and Guilt Group applications for flash deals!

7 comments:

  1. The only fashion app that I have ever used was American Eagles shopping app, that only let you see pre picked styles that their own designers had come up with. I really like these new ones that you showed! I've only started to really get into fashion in the past couple of years and even though I don't agree with all fashion trends I'm still at least looking to be up to date and know what the new trends are. I think the next step in for the fashion apps is augmented reality, where people can actually put clothes on themselves. A ring manufacturer has already done this that allows women to see just how the ring is going to look on their finger, all they have to do is put their hand up in front of their computer camera. Cool, huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My smartphone is always glued to my hand, so its more like I only have one hand to work with! I love this post about fashion apps. I often resort to a Google search to see “What shoes can I wear with a yellow-striped top?” or “What color espadrilles will I get the most wear out of?” but seeing the details about fashion apps that you describe here, I might have to download one! I love that fashion brands have caught on to the app craze and have started creating apps for consumers to organize outfits and keep up with the trends. I like the “Who What Wear” app because it shows celebrity-inspired styles in collage form. I’m sure I’m not the only girl who looks toward celebrities to see the latest wearable trends, so for me this is a great app. I read your other post about the RueLaLa app, and I think that is a great find. Looks like I’ll be “making a trip” to the App Store tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still walking around with a Blackberry so anything needing me to get on the internet is a pain. I have always bought magazines to see what new style trends are coming about that would peak my interest but apps are a more practical way these days! The apps you have mentioned would be a great addition to any fashionista around. This new technology has taken the fashion portion of magazines and websites and made them more portable. I am all about learning new hair and fashion styles on YouTube, this will be a great addition to my plethora of fashion help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I utilize social media to discover new beauty and fashion trends as well. I follow a few YouTube beauty bloggers that post different makeup techniques and hairdos. I also log on to Pinterest a lot for fashion tips! If I had a smart phone, I would most definitely download these apps. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also found instagram to an unconventional place to get fashion tips/ideas! i follow a variety of instagram accounts such as "alwaysfashion" and "fashion couture" - both of which publish awesome pictures of style and beauty things. while some pictures are very high fashion, it is at least a fun place to get ideas that can maybe be put into practice with more affordable items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually have the “WhoWhatWear” fashion app on my phone because I agree that it is a great way for clothing companies to interact with their audience and provide great clothing ideas to people like you and me. I love how the app puts various outfits together and showing how celebrities have worn them in the past and then showing a cheaper version of how you can mimic it. This is actually one of my favorite things because as college students we are on very cheap budgets and it leads you to their clothing companies websites to buy the clothes. I think this is a great way for clothing companies to promote their products.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these apps. I think its so smart to allow consumers to be able to mix and match trends, create a killer outfit, and then bring it to their own closet by purchasing the clothes. It these apps didn't kill my phone battery, I would be on them 24/7 just browsing and creating masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete